Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Christmas Season Already?

It seems like all I did was blink and now the Christmas season is already here!

Anyhow, one thing I hate about the season is the popularity of the those inflatable yard decorations. During the day, people deflate them and it just looks like someone's rubbish has been strewn across the yard. You know, like a bad wind storm on garbage day. And I am still trying to figure out what an inflatable Spongebob has to do with Christmas.

Another thing is the inundation of Christmas songs WAY before Christmas. Radio stations were already playing Christmas songs BEFORE Thanksgiving. As a result, I tend to tire of them before Christmas even rolls around. I especially dislike the corny/lame ones. You smile and giggle when you hear them the first time. Then also again perhaps the second time. But surely not the third time you hear them.

The Christmas songs I like the best are the ones that convey the true meaning of Christmas. I really don't care to hear again how Grandma got run over by a reindeer. I also love the ones that I grew up with as a child. Growing up in a Hungarian household meant I listened to the Hungarian Christmas songs. Since I do not live in Hungary, I hear those songs rarely and when I do, always seem to tug at my heart and bring a tear to my eye.

Anyhow, here is a favorite. The song is about telling the shepherds to hurry to Bethlehem to see the newborn Jesus.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is a bit late, but you might enjoy the relatively new [but very melodic] carol cycle _The Manchester Carols_. The lyrics are by the current Poet Laureate of England. You can hear excerpts at this site: http://www.themanchestercarols.com/order.html

Friday, January 08, 2010 6:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page