Saturday, January 07, 2006

Light at the end of the tunnel...NOT!

I was told by my advisor (The Boss) about a month ago to write this grant to American Heart Association. I was slightly worried about it because this is not only my first grant, but I had only a month to write this first grant of mine. But I thought hey, I will rise to the challenge!

So, right before my advisor leaves to go out of town for a few weeks, I confirm with him that I am to write this grant on these TWO enymes.

So, he leaves and I busy myself on writing this grant on TWO enzymes. I write and read for many hours each day in order to present my advisor with a rough draft for when he returns.

So, when he returns, I give him my project summary to review since it needs to be sent to our division of research asap. He reviews it with me and only makes some minor changes to it. This makes me happy considering that only minor revisions are needed. I figured, hey, I am progressing in my scientific writing abilities! Also, I was feeling like finally I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this rather difficult task of writing my first grant.

He then says to me to include a THIRD enzyme in the grant. I am thinking, great, just great, I have only a little more than a week to read about this third enzyme and incorporate into my grant! So, I put in more hours writing and I rise to the occasion. I present to my advisor a rough draft of the grant later this week.

He goes over the rough draft with me and tells me to totally change my aims. Great, just great. This means I have to totally redo the whole grant! I have less than a week to submit this grant! He then asks me why I did not include the double mutant enzyme? I tell him that he never asked me to include a double mutant enzyme in the grant. He then proceeds to tell me that he did indeed ask me to include the double mutant. At this point I strongly tell him that he did not tell me to include this double mutant enzyme. So, he does not question me further about the double mutant enzyme.

But he does tell me to include this other single mutant enzyme. I have less than one week to incorporate this FOURTH enzyme in the grant.

So much for the light at the end of the tunnel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page