Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Navigation

I am somewhat reluctant to admit that I am rather challenged in terms of navigating abilities.

More often than not, when trying to find a new place, I usually get lost. To make matters worse, I am very reluctant to stop and ask for directions. My rationale for this is that I will eventually find it and why not enjoy the new scenery in the meantime? At least that is what I tell other people.

To compound matters, I confess that at times I am absentminded when going somewhere. I blame this on the fact that I am immersed in the world of science. My mind is always thinking about something and hence focused more on "important" matters rather than where I am going. At least that is what I tell other people. Sometimes I even managed to convince myself of this as well. I suppose that more often than not, I am in my own little world.

I am doing my research in a large research institute. This institute is connected to a large hospital. I do not venture all that often into the hospital realm, but from time to time, I do. Usually it is to attend some seminar or go the cafeteria. I have to say that all the corridors look the same in the hospital. I have gotten used to navigating the identical corridors by the various artwork on the walls. This allows me to "not pay attention" to where I am going and think about other things while walking to my destination. So, the way this works is that I will turn left at landscape painting on the wall, turn right at the photographic print on the next wall, etc.

Well, this morning I have found that they removed all the familiar artwork and put up all new ones. Suffice it to say, I found myself a little bit disoriented this morning.

In the research institute, all the corridors for the labs are pretty much identical with the exception of the color scheme. Thus, each floor in the institute has a different color scheme. So, if you get off the elevator and find yourself surrounded by blue walls instead of the green walls, you instantly realize you got off on the wrong floor. I find this very helpful and so do other people I have spoken with at the research institute.

Considering that all the artwork has been changed, I just hope that next week they don't decide to change the color scheme. I just might have to start paying attention to where I am going...

3 Comments:

Blogger William the Coroner said...

Katie

There are signs hanging from the ceiling that tell you where you're going that DON'T change at the Evil Empire.

I don't work there and I know that.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:08:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

William,

That is assuming I bother to look UP when I am walking down the corridors...

I usually don't look up at signs when lost in thought and walking--which was the whole point of this post.

Also, if memory serves me correct, there is a significant height difference between us. You are more apt to look up anyhow.

Also, at the research part of the institute, there are NO signs. But I imagine that you have not ventured to that area since it is restricted.

I did not realize that my institution was referred to as the "Evil Empire" outside my realm. Interesting...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

HDD,

Glad to know that others can relate! Misery loves company!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page