Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Cat Blogging

Meet the Toyger:

All my cats have been rescues (with the exception of my first cat that my parents got me when I was little and it was one of those "free to a good home"). I go by the adage of "Don't breed or buy while homeless pets die". The adage is to empasize getting a cat from a rescue organization if you want a pet and not allowing cats to breed in order to contribute to the pet overpopulation problem. There are so many very loving cats in need of a good home (I know since I foster some of them). So many of these wonderful loving cats are needlessly euthanized because their only crime in life is that they were not able to find a good home. It really makes me angry. It also breaks my heart as I have three cats of my own and love them dearly. I know first hand what wonderful creatures cats can be.

However, I can't help but admire the beautiful creation of the Toyger. The coloration and striping pattern is nothing short of stunning. It does seem like a lovely breed. And who knows? Perhaps those bozo's who insist upon owning and attempting to keep a wild cat (tigers, and such) might just be happy to have a lovely domesticated cat such as a Toyger? Because in my opinion, wild cats are just that, they are wild and meant to stay that way. They are not there for our pleasure and we should not inflict our desires for confinement to their detriment. It seems like the Toyger offers the best of both worlds. The look of the wild with the tameness of the "puddy-cat".

For more information on the Toyger, look here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miz Minka said...

Wow, what a stunning looking new breed! However, there are too many (millions) of cats that are euthanized each year; so I'd much rather adopt an unwanted cat than give in to my wish to own a fancy breed (like my favorite: chocolate point Siamese).

I think it's wonderful that you're fostering cats; if I could, I would too. (Who am I kidding? I'd end up keeping them all...) ;)

Sunday, May 25, 2008 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Miz Minka,

Yes, the coloration is stunning. No doubt. Glad you share my sentiments regarding cats. If you ever wish to own a fancy breed, you can get them at rescue organizations. Heck, if you just go to petfinder.com you can select the breed you want and based on your area code, will show cats available at the rescue organizations near you. Also, you can put in for a request at various rescues so when they do get a cat in the breed you want, they will call you. All in all, a win-win situation for those who want a fancy breed but don't want to encourage breeding while homeless cats die.

With regards to fostering, I felt (and sometimes still do) about wanting to keep them all. But the emails I get from the adoptive parents make it all worth it in the end. One lady wrote me such a lovely email thanking me to no end about me raising such beautiful and loving cats it actually made me cry. It made it all worth it when she told me how much those cats were loved. Fostering is emotionally hard, but being able to share that love with other people makes it worth it in the end.

Monday, May 26, 2008 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page