Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A Competitive Streak

I have to confess, that at times, I do have a competitive streak in me. Yes, for the most part, I am easy going, but I also like to at times prove people wrong.

One of those people happened to be my brother-in-law.

A few years back I attended a Hungarian event here in the city which he happened to be the organizer. Early in the evening he made the comment to me that I cannot dance a proper fast Hungarian Csárdas because I was born here in the U.S. and not Hungary. I did not say much to him other than perhaps he should consider that he might be wrong. As the evening progressed he grabbed me by the arm as I was making my way over to the dessert table (a table laden with luscious Hungarian desserts) and suggested we dance. So we did. I also decided at that point to prove myself as a Hungarian dancer.

I kept up with the music through the entire piece. My brother-in-law? Well, about 3/4 through he could barely stand. The more he stumbled, the faster I danced. I held my own through the entire piece. At the conclusion of the music, he could barely make it back to the table. He had to spend the next half hour resting. He rescinded his statement about me not being able to dance a proper fast Hungarian Csárdas. He also said that he has no intention of ever dancing with me again because he can't keep up.

Me? I just went back to my original course of heading towards the dessert table.

Here is a video clip of the same music I danced to. The video is old, but the music is good:

1 Comments:

Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I can't imagine how one would dance to that fast pace.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page