Friday, March 09, 2007

Turning Point

My advisor knows how to dangle the proverbial carrot in front of me. All he has to do is mention a first author paper in a high tiered journal and I am more than willing to do his bidding.

So, this week, after looking over my data he mentions to me this project he wants me to do. He tells me that it is a great project and it will be published in a high ranking journal. My eyes glaze over at this point and my attitude changes to essentially telling him to just show me the hoops and I will jump. I know that his promise is not an empty one given his reputation in the field and his track record of publications. This project could very well be one of the best things that have come out of his lab.

The implications of the outcome of this project are so profound that I dare not think about it due to the fact it could be the most incredible journey and turning point in my career.

When my advisor saw me today, he mentioned how I am now making my ascent in the lab and how now he is going to put some serious efforts into my publication record. At the moment, I have two manuscripts on the back burner. Now with this new project, I think I can safely say that I should have between 3-5 manuscripts when I graduate.

But even 3-5 manuscripts pale in comparison to what could be the outcome of this new project. Although I dare not get my hopes up, I also know what an incredible mind and record my advisor has. These are not empty hopes and promises.

I am not quite sure why he has decided to make me his star, but for now, I will be simply content at this turning point.

Now, if I can just only find the time and energy to do the writing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page