Monday, March 10, 2008

Winter Storm

This weekend has proved to be quite a storm.

I attempted to venture out to go across town because I needed to be there and and I wanted to keep my word. I think I was also overconfident regarding my driving abilities.

Suffice it to say, I did not make it far. I got as far as the entrance ramp to I-480 and got good and stuck in a snow drift. Apparently two other people decided my idea was a good one and did the same thing with their cars just in front of me. I stayed there for almost three hours waiting at the mercy of AAA's schedule. Fortunately for me, a kind person came by and pulled my car out with his truck.

I decided that road conditions were not only hazardous, by dangerous and decided at that point to thank fate for getting me out and I went home and stayed put.

The storm was bad enough that there were stuck cars everywhere littering the streets like some road-kill. The storm was bad enough to close colleges, stores, restaurants, and yes, even the beloved orchid show I was looking forward to.

There was no mass manufactured hysteria that I observed. Only kind-hearted people trying to help one another out.

For those that think that the description of the storm is exaggerated while observing from the warm comfort of home, or only having a quick jaunt out to the nearby market, I would say try going out in that crap and getting stuck and being at the mercy of the weather conditions for three hours.

For crying out loud, the airport, Hopkins International Airport closed down. That is something that has not happened for about 25 years or so. Closing down an international airport I assume is not a light decision...

Rather than casually observe and pass judgement in warm comfort, experience first hand, and then I will be happy to entertain opposing thoughts on the matter.

2 Comments:

Blogger William the Coroner said...

The TV coverage was overblown. And going out was not an option. And the snow as melted, mostly, already.

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

The TV coverage I watched seemed to be right on the money in terms of what I personally experienced. I am willing to give that perhaps some channels may exaggerate. I only watched one coverage.

It was almost surreal to see all the cars on the streets standed in the drifts.

Living in Cleveland prety much all my life, I have experienced many terrible storms and driven in them. I would have to say, of my adult driving life, this one was the worst.

I was on my way to clerk for the orchid show. I called later that evening to the organzier to apologize for not showing up and explained my plight. It turns out that he was stuck in a drift for five hours on the exit ramp from I-71.

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page