Monday, September 29, 2008

Musical Monday


Opera Notes

I attended Mozart's Marriage of Figaro as planned on Friday evening. I have to confess that it all exceeded my expectations. My only regret is that I would love to be able to go to every performance that is is scheduled here in town.

The Marriage of Figaro is actually a sequel to The Barber of Seville. But I have yet to see The Barber of Seville. So, I guess I am doing this in reverse here. Anyhow...

Mozart is known for weaving into his operas beauty, humor, tenderness, forgiveness, and enlightenment. The Marriage of Figaro is no exception to this. What can I say? I am a sucker for happy endings. Mostly, I think I enjoyed the comic aspects of the opera. There is a saying that Bach taught us to pray and that Mozart taught us to laugh. I still have the giggles from the Count referring to his servant Cherubino as "That Cherub from Hell".

Cupcakes were served to the members of audience after the opera to celebrate the marriage of Figaro. Nice touch.

Here is a video clip of perhaps the most popular aria (Porgi Amor) from The Marriage of Figaro. It brings tears to my eyes--every time:

An English translation I found:
"God above, hear my prayer. Ease my pain and grant me peace.
Oh, return the love I've cherished, or give my aching heart release.
Oh, please let this torment cease!
Tell me why his love has faded. Let me know in what way I
can win back the man I married. God of love, heed my cry.
Oh, heed my cry.
If my love is lost forever, then take pity and let me die."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page