Thursday, May 31, 2007

Leather Skirt?

I was discussing the topic of leather with someone today and it reminded me of a nickname I used to have: Leather Skirt.

It is a nickname that came about quite innocently. It was the holiday season and I was attempting to manage different events that seemed to be scheduled around the same time. One particular event was going to this party hosted by one of my professors who invited graduate students from the department, fellow faculty, and a few faculty from neighboring universities. I came to this party dressed to the nines so to speak. I wore a fuzzy angora sweater, a leather skirt, and high heels. The dress attire to the party was very casual, and my attire was quite appropriate for the event that I attended previously in the day. I had no time to go back home and change into more casual attire and my attire from the previous event would just have to do.

I remember when I walked through the door, all eyes were upon me. I think a few jaws even dropped. I suppose no one had ever seen me so dressed up. Most of the time my attire was wearing a lab coat with casual clothes underneath. I guess no one had ever seen the dressed up part of my world.

One of the male graduate students walked up to me and asked if my skirt was really leather. I told him it was. He then asked what my sweater was made out of. I told him it was angora. He asked if he could pet my sweater. So, I allowed him to pet my sleeve. He asked if he could touch my skirt to see if it was leather. I, of course told him no.

After this event, this particular graduate student insisted up giving me the nickname, "Leather Skirt", and proceeded on calling me that in the chemistry department. He thought nothing of calling down the hallway,"Hey, Leather Skirt, how is it going?" This was in front of other faculty and students. Sometimes it embarrassed me.

Fortunately for me, this particular graduate student went off to attend the medical school down the street and the nickname died down.

However, every once in a while, my best friend will remind me of my nickname. But that is what friends are for, no? To remind you of the things you have forgotten...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on the heme!!!

Friday, June 01, 2007 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Erm, you lost me on this comment...

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you marry me?

Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger William the Coroner said...

Oh c'mon, there's not nearly enough information about that skirt here. Length? Pattern? Colour? This is a totally unsatisfactory post.

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Your #1 weirdo,
You really should not say such things in jest...

William,
My aim was to write a post about a certain nickname I earned in my early graduate years. I figured that a detailed description about the skirt itself was superfluous, no?

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page