Monday, October 29, 2007

Roses


I love Roses. For more than just its fragrance and legendary beauty.

They hold a special place in my heart.

You see, my botanical interests all began with Roses. I learned much botany from roses. I also learned, through trial and error a great deal about cultivation and horticulture from Roses. Yes, my love and obsession with botany began with roses.

Yes, I have a rose garden that is in desperate need of tending--but I have so little time. The soil needs to be tilled before being put to rest for the winter.

And here is a rather lovely song that haunts my mind:

Red is the Rose

Come over the hills, my bonny Irish lass
Comer over the hills to your darling;
You choose the rose, love, and I'll make the vow
And I'll be your true love forever.

Refrain:
Red is the rose that in yonder garden grows,
And fair is the lily of the valley;
Clear is the water that flows from the Boyne
But my love is fairer than any.

'Twas down by Killarney's green woods that we strayed
And the moon and the stars they were shining;
The moon shone its rays on her locks of golden hair
And she swore she'd be my love forever.

Refrain

It's not for the parting that my sister pains
It's not for the grief of my mother,
"Tis all for the loss of my bonny Irish lass
That my heart is breaking forever.

Refrain


A download can be found here.

With such music and imagery, I have to say that at times like this, it does make me yearn to have some Celtic heritage. Oh well, I guess I will just have to settle for buying the CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page