Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Indecision

I am at an indecision regarding my photography club. It is a club I joined back in early spring.

It has to do with one of the members. A physician/photographer at the club asked me out on a date many months back in early spring. He sort of made a beeline for me at the very first meeting I attended. So, for our first (and last) date we went out on a photography expedition. After a day of taking nature pictures, he invited me back to his place. He wanted to show me his pictures. He also wanted to show me his skill with Photoshop. So he did.

After he showed me his pictures, he asked me what I thought of them. I told him I best like the bridge he photographed at Cuyahoga Valley. He then asked me what I thought of this one picture where he photographed these three fall leaves. As a botanist wannabe, I knew that those leaves were not capable of the colors he forced upon them in Photoshop. So, I told him, "It does not look normal". When he asked why, I explained how those leaves do not turn that particular color. He then told me that he was interested in selling the print and that most people are not botanists like I am. I told him I was not a botanist and I stuck to my original assessment and comment.

I think it pissed him off. After the date, it was as if he dropped off the face of the Earth. No calls, no emails, nothing. So be it.

The next two photography meetings I saw him. Although I was not interested in going out with him again, I figured we could at least have friendly conversation since we belong to the same club and have an interest in photography. But he avoided me and I felt like I was the plague to be avoided at all costs. It probably did not help matters that the club members went ga-ga over my marco shots and gave me first place at the meeting "show".

The next three or more photography meetings I did not go to. I was just too busy with experiments.

Now I get an email from the club regarding the Christmas meeting. After missing three or so meetings already, it would just be a simple matter to just not go anymore. But that in many ways is wrong. I like the members in the club. Also, sooner or later, I will come across him again even if I avoid the club. Photographers are always running into each other whether it is an expedition, a class, vendor show, exhibition, etc.

My male friends have told me I should "never tell a man something of his does not look normal".

But he asked for my opinon, and I gave my opinion. If someone does not want my honest opinion, then it should not be asked. I will not be insincere to stroke someone's ego. I also figured that with him being a physician, he could handle my honest critique.

So, I am at a bit of an indecision. To stop going to the club and avoid an uncomfortable situation for the time being, or continue to go and be proud of my pictures and knowledge.

I have until next Thursday to make my decision...

If you don't want my honest opinion, then don't ask for it...Sheesh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miz Minka said...

I don't think you should let a man with an ego problem keep you from meeting with other people who share your passion for photography. Seems to me he's the one who's uncomfortable, so let him deal with it -- it's his problem, not yours!

I totally agree with your final statement. Don't ask if you can't handle an honest answer!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page