Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

So, I open one of my email accounts to find that there is an application for me to join AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). In fact, for TWO days now they have been sending emails for me to join. Okay, I would not mind the free travel kit backpack, but I think I will hold off a bit before joining.

What the heck? I am a woman who will freely admit her age (I am 40). Most of the time, and I do mean most of the time, people tell me I look much younger. I have even had some men tell me that they thought I was in my 20’s. They might have been flirting with me. Okay, most likely flirting with me—but still.

I realize that an email cannot view me and see that I do not look like I am reaching retirement age (although there are some days I feel like it). However, they must have gotten my email address from some source and it makes me wonder what source would think I am near retirement age.

Is it the photography sources? Photography seems to have booth young and old for its enthusiasts. Would it be science? Well, sometimes I joke that I am well preserved from all the chemicals in the lab, but I think somehow it is not geared toward the geriatric generation. Science fiction? More likely the younger generation in my opinion. Don’t see too many Klingons walking around with canes at the sci-fi conventions--okay, maybe the Klingon pain sticks. But certainly not too many Klingons with devices aimed towards assisting mobility. Perhaps it is the health and wellness sources?

If it is the health and wellness sources, it seems to me that health and wellness is something you should care about all your life. Or at least when you hit your twenties and thirties.

At any rate, perhaps I will never know why they are sending me AARP memberships. At least I should be grateful I am not getting emails for funeral pre-planning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page