Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Dark Side?

Expanding my musical horizons

So Dr. D. emails me to remind me of the orchid meeting on Wednesday. I actually forgot which tells me how preoccupied I have been with this dissertation/writing. We will probably end up exchanging the CD's we loaned each other. Still have not finished studying the Malmsteen CD's. I am one of those people that have to listen to something 20-30 times before I can fully appreciate it. Some things I like and appreciate right away, others I listen to many times before I make the determination if I like it.

Although I will listen to top 40's music from time to time (when I want to put my brain in idle), I find that a lot of it tends to be a bit too insipid for my personal preference. How a piece with bad music and bad vocals make it to the top 40, I will never understand. But I digress.

I have to confess, that for the most part, I have been a simple baroque girl. Pop a Vivaldi into my CD player and I am happy. Never ventured over to the realm of metal or its "powerful" and progressive counterparts. Never cared for it. Yet, now, if the piece is well done I can fully enjoy it. I do have to confess that my progression into this realm has been slow and methodical--not for the faint of heart so to speak.

I guess I could even look the part of the "metal girl" if I wanted to. Pair the black satin corset with the black leather pants would do nicely (as Tarja (the previous lead vocalist for Nightwish) did at some of her performances). Yes, if Nightwish were to venture over to these parts, that outfit would do nicely.

At any rate, I am finding there is a lot out there that I have to listen to and see if I like it. I might just surprise myself and go to one of these concerts.

Am I venturing over to the dark side?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend that you take a listen to the band RUSH, particularly their Snakes and Arrows CD. In their early days they did a lot of the 18 minute song/drama/rock opera type things but their lead vocalist does/did have more of a screachy voice back then.

Snakes and Arrows is new 2007 and has a very good musical quality. Just a suggestion.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hello Anonymous,

Actually, believe it or not, Rush is on my "next list".

I will look into their Snakes and Arrows.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One can actually become an active member of the entertainment with the Hostile Omish. They usually have open churn night. :)

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page