Thursday, February 15, 2007

Parking Woes

There is a saying that every so often I am reminded of. The saying is that things could always be worse. So true.

When I first started in my current lab, I had to park in a lot that was right across from the Coroner's office and it would take me 20 minutes to walk from my car to my building in a not so good neighborhood. Because of the neighborhood, and various inclement weather conditions, I would often take the shuttle bus that was provided to the parking recipients. However, I often would grumble about this because there were times I would have to wait as long as 20-30 minutes for a shuttle bus during non peak hours. There were even a few times I had to wait 45-60 minutes for a shuttle bus. Most of the time I only had to wait 10-15 minutes, but longer would make my blood boil. But this was paradise compared to my current conditions.

A few months back I was moved to another parking lot. This parking lot is located pretty much in the downtown area of my city and is a 15 minute drive from my building. This is during good weather and driving conditions. On a good day, I can count on driving to my parking lot, parking my car, waiting 15 minutes for the shuttle bus to arrive, having a 15 minute drive on the shuttle bus to the hospital drop off point, and walking another 15 minutes through the hospital to my lab. This is an extra 45 minutes to my already normal 30 minute communte from home. Of course, the same thing only reverse on the way home.

Now factor in bad weather. This means a longer wait time for the shuttle bus and longer transit time on the shuttle bus. To compound matters, it has been frigid here. Waiting in a shuttle bus stop is not fun.

But the worse part is the fact that the parking lot is located just off of our lake. Imagine the cold air blasting off the lake. I feel like I am more in the artic tundra rather than the midwest. For those who complain how cold it has been here cannot even imagine what it is like being in the "lake breeze" in the morning.

I have to confess that I did not realize how good I had it when I was parking in my previous lot. The saying of things could be worse came all too true. I am not sure now how much worse things could be at this point, but I suppose I could get an email any day now stating that my new parking assignement will be on the lake ice...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beer good

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page