Friday, August 24, 2007

Atilla and his mistress

My middle name is very old in origin. Originally my mother wanted it as my first name. It is a Hungarian name and even some Hungarians are not familiar with it.

When I was visiting the Hungarian Cultural Museum last year, a discussion ensued regarding the origins of my middle name. I was told that I bear the name of Atilla the Hun's mistress. I was surprised, and partially did not believe it. I figured, who would name their chid after Atilla the Hun's mistress? After some digging, I found out that it really was true. I did indeed bear the name of Atilla's mistress.

I wanted to ask my mother if she knew that I had this name from this particular figure in history, but I could not quite muster the courage to bring it up. She passed away before I could ask her. I figured it was perhaps a good thing that I did not bring it up considering I doubt that she knew this little fact of history.

I am even more curious to know how Atilla's mistress made it into the written pages of history. I imagine she must have had some rather worthy characteristics and attributes to allow her to be recorded in the pages of time.

I apologize for not revealing my name in this post. I am doing this because I dislike having my name mispronouced as most people do not/cannot pronouce it. But I will pose the challege if anyone can figure out what it is.

4 Comments:

Blogger William the Coroner said...

You know you've just opened the floodgates for teasing with this one, don'tcha?

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

William,

I am afraid to ask. So very afraid...

Although I might allow you to tease if you can figure it out (along with the proper pronounciation).

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger William the Coroner said...

Edit?
Erzebet?
Euphroznia?

Monday, September 03, 2007 8:58:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sorry, but it is none of those.

Try harder.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page