Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Photography Copyright Violation

A little while ago, a friend and fellow colleague of mine had one of his photographs "stolen". It was taken off his website and published in a large Turkish newspaper. It was a picture of a sea turtle he photographed. The newspaper never asked for his permission to publish his picture or give him credit for that picture. He contacted the newspaper editor. The picture was retracted from the online version.

However, he was never financially compensated or given credit. He certainly had the basis for a lawsuit.

For this reason, I am hesitant at times to post my pictures or poetry. I really hate the idea of someone using my work without credit. Of course, one way to get around this is to post my identity on my pictures and other work. I don't know if I am ready to do this, but I would like the idea of putting more of my work out into the public eye. Perhaps it is time I came out of the shadows so to speak?

At any rate, I do hope that what has happened to my friend has not happened to me. I don't want any of my pictures out there without my permission or credit. People don't realize all the difficulties I have had to endure to get some of my pictures. I have spent a lot of my money on my equipment as well as endured some physically challenging situations to photograph my subject matter. Of course, my creativity and part of me is embeded in those photographs.

What I do, I do out of pure love. Financial compensation is nice, but it is not what I seek. Permission and credit. Not much to ask for.

3 Comments:

Blogger William the Coroner said...

Your photos aren't so pure, Katie.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

William,

All my photos are representative of my emotions and creativity. Pure love, pure passion, pure emotion...unadulturated.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd N Phillips said...

I'm in Spokane, Washington and the same situation happened to me the other day. In my case, they cropped off the copyright notice and my name and ran the photo without my knowledge, permission, credit or payment. A friend spoke with their higher-ups on my behalf, but they are apparently refusing to pay, claiming it was a 'publicity photo' for a local musician. She too knew nothing about this until she saw it on their website; neither did the upcoming show's promoter, or my editor. It was shot for a local magazine piece I was writing, but that shot was not used and that magazine let's us keep our own copyrights. The paper feels justifyed, as 'that's what they do'. My editor says no, and that they've done this before. I feel like if I do play nice, they're going to screw me over again and keep on stealing people's photos.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page