Friday, December 14, 2007

Decaf


I have been medically advised to cut out all caffeine in my diet. Yes all. I blinked in disbelief, thinking that perhaps, just perhaps, it is just some cruel joke. You know, like when you are a kid and you are told that the Easter Bunny doesn't exist?

Cut out all caffeine? I need to be decaffeinated? I have taken years to get to this level. Years of intake. Caffeine got me into graduate school. How was I to abandon this friend in my darkest hour of need?

So, I came up with various strategies to deal with this problem.

Strategy #1:
Convince the MD that caffeine is not a problem. I tried and tried. But MD's are stubborn. I am stubborn. But I find out that MD's are more stubborn than I am.

Strategy #2:
This is all mind over matter. Mind over body. Follow advice right away and just go cold turkey over the weekend. Stupid stupid stupid idea. Not only did it make me feel physically horrible over the weekend, but I found myself looking longingly at my espresso machine. Finally succumbed to temptation and brewed a cup of espresso Sunday evening before going to sleep. Body won out over mind. Failed miserably at Strategy #2.

Strategy #3:
Switch to decaf.
So I buy decaf. Vile stuff. But this is for my own good. And decaf does have a small amount of caffeine in it. After brewing a cup of espresso decaf (sounds like an oxymoron) I look bleary eyed at the empty cup waiting for the buzz that never comes. This is obviously no better than Strategy #2.

Strategy #4:
Baby steps. Take baby steps. Cut out the caffeine gradually. Rome was not built in a day and my body did not get to this level overnight either. So, I mix the decaf with my caffeinated coffee. I know, this is sacrilege considering I am a bit of a coffee connoisseur. But this is the time for desperate measures. I make a mixture of of decaf with my caffeinated coffee. The mixture is almost palatable. But, I think it is best not to reveal the dilution factor of the decaf. However, at least I can say I am now drinking decaf...right?

Perhaps it is time to go back to Strategy #1?

3 Comments:

Blogger StyleyGeek said...

the only way I've ever been able to go without coffee for long periods of time is to replace it with a really yummy non-caffeinated drink. E.g. go out to a specialty tea shop and buy lots of exciting expensive teas. Then every time you feel like a coffee, make a tea instead.

Or hot chocolates, or similar.

There's no point in trying to fool yourself with fake (i.e. decaf or grain) coffees, but if you have something totally different, it's somehow easier.

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:10:00 PM  
Blogger Vitriolic Virchow said...

Tea has stimulants as well.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger AYDIN Ă–RSTAN said...

Drink beer.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page