Thursday, May 11, 2006

Flight of Fantasy...

Gary, from Views From My Garden was kind enough to remind me of another wonderful poem by William Butler Yeats. I figured since my mind keeps wandering back to the poetry of Yeats, perhaps I should post this one:


The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight 's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

William Butler Yeats


Oh! How my heart deeply desires to go someplace like Innisfree right now! To go there and never return! I take with me the following woodland flowers:

Claytonia virginica:


Dicentra canadensis:


Trillium erectum:


Viola rostrata:


Asarum canadense:


Arisaema triphyllum:


Mertensia virginica:


Uvularia sessilifolia:


Viola sororia:




After all, this is my flight of fancy and fantasy!

Photographic credits goes to Thomas, whose expertise never ceases to amaze me...

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Yeats was a wonderful poet. They don't make them like that anymore.

That vioa sororia looks spectacular.

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:14:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WONDERFUL poem, thoughts and flower photos!!! A real treat! Mary ;-)

Monday, May 15, 2006 9:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page