Monday, November 27, 2006

A Nut?

I am in the mood to bake something. Yeah, anything to distract me from writing my grant. It is amazing how many things I can think of to do to distract me from writing my grant.

But seriously, I really am in the mood to bake something. I am considering making the famous Hungarian Dobos Torte. Now seriously, I know this is quite a task, but I since I am Hungarian, I have made this before.

However, I have always cheated and left out making the caramelized sugar top. But this time I want to go all out and make it authentic.

So, considering that I have not made the caramelized top, I decided to consult my various Hungarian cookbooks. The first two Hungarian cookbooks I consulted simply said to set aside one of the layers for the caramelized top. Yeah, that is helpful considering I have never made it before! I guess they figure that everyone knows how to make a carmelized top and that you are innately born with that knowledge. The final cookbook gave the proper ingredients along with the protocol. However, in the ingredient list it stated a "nut of butter".

Now, what the heck is a "nut of butter?" I assume it is a quantity, but how much? I assume that you put in a quantity of butter equal to the size of a nut. However, what type of nut? A peanut? A walnut? A coconut?

What kind of nut??????? Argh!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Just guessing, but I would say the size of a small pecan.
I have an idea it will taste great no matter how much you use. :)

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger William the Coroner said...

A butternut, of course.

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:08:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Gary,
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

William,
I guess as the saying goes, "Ask a stupid question..."

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a translation from french "noix de beurre" which has been translated as "a pat of butter" or "a knob of butter" (old!). A teaspoon full (approx!) of butter.

So a pecan nut would be about right.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page