Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Happy St. Nicholas' Day!

Today is a special holiday for those of Hungarian heritage. It is St. Nicholas' Day!

A brief description:
Mikulás Nap - St. Nicholas’ Day
-------------------------------------------------

December 6th is the name day of Miklós, and children especially love this day
because for them it is “Mikulás Nap.” The Hungarian Santa, called Mikulás,
(Me-ku-lash) visits children on December 6th, St. Nicholas' Day. Children shine
their shoes or boots then put them outside. If the child has been good, Mikulás
leaves the boot filled with goodies - traditionally with candies, tangerines,
walnuts, apples, dates and chocolate figurines. Most children get small toys
and books. If the child has been a little bad, the boot will contain a bundle
of twigs (like a “switch”). If the child has been naughty, then they get lumps
of coal or potatoes. Since no child is all good or all bad, most get the
switch and the treat. There is no Mrs. Santa in Hungary, but Mikulás often
travels with one or two small evil goblins, called "krampusz (kromm-puhs)."
-------------------------------------------------------

I have to confess, I have only gotten goodies in my boots growing up. Even as an adult, my parents would still continue to celebrate this tradition with me. It was wondeful to come home from school or the lab and find goodies in my boots. This holiday is a bit bittersweet for me right now...

But I wish everyone out there a Happy St. Nicholas' Day!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

That's a nice tradition. May your boots always be filled with goodies.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page