Wednesday, December 26, 2007

This and more


I would have to say that this particular Christmas I received the most wonderful gifts. Really.

Two gifts in particular. One, being Bach's complete works. A total of 155 CD's. The baroque period of music is my favorite, so the gift was more than just thoughtful. A total of 155 CD's should give me something to listen to for a while. (tonight it will be the Brandenburg Concerto's 1-6). I was looking to buy the Brandenburg Concertos 1-6. I did not realize I would get that and more.

The second gift came from my family in Hungary. A book written by one of my mother's childhood friends on his memoirs. A book that describes not only his life, but hers. Quite moving was the picture of the organ I played at my uncle's home which was later sold to the author of the book.

Of course, all the other gifts I received were wonderful as well. But the above two, certainly took my breath away.

5 Comments:

Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Bach's CDs is indeed a great gift.

Speaking of Hungarian, how do you say "I have many apples in my pocket" in Hungarian?

Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:23:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Aydin,

In Hungarian:

"Van a zsebembe sok alma."

But you must tell my why...you have piqued my curiosity...

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:49:00 AM  
Blogger AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Well, the reason is....

Back in July in Antwerp at the World Malacological Congress, I met a Hungarian student who had been to Turkey & who knew some rudimentary Turkish. He told me that the Hungarian way of saying "I have many apples in my pocket" was the same as it was in Turkish. The Turkish version is: "Cebimde çok elma var" (c=dj, ç=ch). When he said it, it sounded very close to Turkish. Later, I met another Hungarian student, who, however, didn't understand the Turkish sentence when I told it to her. But when she said it in Hungarian we both could hear the similarities. I have been told that Hungarian borrowed many words from Turkish, but I find it especially intriguing that the sentence structures are also so close to each other.

Friday, December 28, 2007 2:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that the heme analog project got scuttled. Was it salvaged?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Aydin,
"Zsebembe sok alma van" is another way of saying the same thing. So, I can see how it would sound similar. I have a Turkish friend of mine and sometimes, I swear I can almost figure out some things. Hungarian certainly has some borrowed words from Turkish (not surprising with the Ottoman Empire). For a while, it was thought that Hungarian was a type of Turkish language. However, it was classified as Finno-Ugric, yet bearing little resemblance to other Finno-Ugric languages. Here is an interesting article on the matter: http://eeuropeanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/history_of_the_hungarian_language

Anonymous,
It is my understanding that the heme analog project has been resurrected.

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page