Thursday, June 12, 2008

Orchid unknownus

I belong to an orchid society. I enjoy the opportunity interact with a group of people who share a common interest as well as learn something new.

But I am afraid that I have made an impression upon its members that I am not sure if it is good or bad. We had a meeting last year in which we had an orchid taxonomist give a talk. I loved this talk because taxonomy is a keen interest of mine. Some people consider it dull, but I consider it fascinating. In fact, from time to time I love to just curl up on my bed on a lazy afternoon and just read up on taxonomy. As a result, I was able to answer all of the speaker's questions--from the common to the obscure. After the meeting, various people, including the speaker thought that I was a taxonomist. I explained that I was a Ph.D candidate in bioanalytical chemistry and just simply have an interest in taxonomy. But sadly, the impression has stayed with the members.

So, one of my friends, who is a member decided to give me an orchid (a division of a native orchid from his collection) a while ago. When I asked him what it was, he refused to tell me. He wants me to figure it out. No matter how many times I asked, he refused. The thing right now is just a bunch of leaves. Sheesh. It is extremely difficult to classify something when it is not in bloom. So, I asked him the cultural requirements (I figured that might give some clues to its classifciation as well as know how not to kill it). He tells me to keep it well watered and to put it into the refrigerator for part of its life cycle. Eh? Although I am always looking for growing space due to my ever expanding collection, I never thought of my refrigerator as a growing area. I guess somewhere between the milk and cat food I am supposed to put an orchid? Fortunately it is a small orchid.

Anyhow, next week is our orchid society's meeting. My friend is one of the speakers (he is giving a talk on growing native orchids). No doubt he will ask me if I figured out what the orchid is. I have not even begun to look through my books to try to classify the thing (and remember, it is NOT in bloom--all I have is the leaves to go on). Oh well, I have a week. In the meantime, I have the following tentative classification:

Refrigeratorus damifino.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miz Minka said...

Katie, maybe it's a European native orchid? They would need a winter season. Maybe this site will help. Good luck on your quest! :)

Friday, June 13, 2008 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh no. I did not even take into consideration that it might be a European native as I seem to recall him telling me at one of the meetings that he has some European natives. Yep, I think I might just be failing this challenge.

Oh well, I will examine the link, go through my books, and look at some online sites. There are certain genera that I have ruled out so far based on the leaf structures.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger Miz Minka said...

It's a week later... Did you ever figure out what the mystery orchid is?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page