Saturday, June 07, 2008

Dual Citizenship


Today I had to visit the Consul General to Hungary to take care of family matters. After those matters were taken care of, he told me that I am eligible to apply for citizenship to Hungary.

Being born here in the U.S.A., I never thought I would be eligible to attain dual citizenship. But some rules and regulations have changed, and since I am the descendent of Hungarian citizens, I am eligible.

So, I will be filling out the paper work and in about 6-8 months, I will officially be a citizen of Hungary. I will have dual citizenship in the two countries I am fond of. Also, any children I may have would in turn be eligible to become citizens of Hungary.

Cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miz Minka said...

Very cool! So, if you travel to Hungary, will you have to bring two passports?

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:10:00 PM  
Blogger AYDIN Ă–RSTAN said...

Cool indeed! I am a citizen of 2 countries as well, Turkey & the U.S. The downside, in my case, is I have to pay for 2 passports & when I travel to Turkey, I have to carry 2 passports.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 3:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minka--The United States Customs and Immigration Service does not recognize dual nationals. You can be a dual national, and all that, but the official policy is to only count the US passport--and only the official modifications are done in that one.

Yeah, bureaucracy. Some folks keep two, such as US and Israel, because there are places you can't GO with an Israeli passport. If K were travelling to Hungary, she'd need both. For the rest, the US one needs fewer visas for western Europe.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page