Thursday, June 05, 2008

Song to the Moon


Tonight I had the incredible joy of seeing (and hearing) Dvorak's Rusalka.

My favorite piece from the opera is an aria, "Song to the Moon" from Act I. Rusalka is a water nymph that has fallen in love with a human prince. In the Song to the Moon, she offers to the moon a prayer that the prince may know of her love--even if briefly in a dream.

The aria at times has the ability to move me to tears because is is filled with such intense longing...

Here is a video I found of the Song to the Moon:



A translation of the lyrics:

Silver moon upon the deep dark sky,
Through the vast night pierce your rays.
This sleeping world you wander by,
Smiling on men's homes and ways.
Oh moon ere past you glide, tell me,
Tell me, oh where does my loved one bide?
Oh moon ere past you glide, tell me
Tell me, oh where does my loved one bide?
Tell him, oh tell him, my silver moon,
Mine are the arms that shall hold him,
That between waking and sleeping he may
Think of the love that enfolds him,
May between waking and sleeping
Think of the love that enfolds him.
Light his path far away, light his path,
Tell him, oh tell him who does for him stay!
Human soul, should it dream of me, Let my memory wakened be.
Moon, moon, oh do not wane, do not wane,
Moon, oh moon, do not wane....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page