Friday, June 06, 2008

Hough Bakeries and Childhood


Talk to any Clevelander, and chances are it is with great fondness that the person remembers Hough Bakeries.

I am no exception. I have fond memories as well. However, for me, it is taken a step further. For my father worked a good portion of his life as a mechanic/engineer for the Hough Bakeries plant. Because of this, my childhood was filled with the wonderful tastes and memories of Hough Bakeries.

You see, my father worked the graveyard shift. This meant he got off work in the early morning hours. From the plant, he brought home the baked goods that were being prepared to be sent off to the various stores. I venture to say that I got to taste the baked goods before most Clevelanders got the chance to buy them.


My father would arrive home with the characteristic white box with blue swirls wrapped in string. He would leave the box on the kitchen table for me to discover. I would awaken, go to the kitchen and see the box. I would unwrap it wondering what wonderful things it might contain. Sometimes it would be chocolate cupcakes. Other times it was glazed donuts (no one made better glazed donuts), or a whole cake. My father would bring home a wrapped box of goodies several times a week. I can say that there was no shortage of lovely baked goods for me to choose from. It almost was like a bit of Christmas so many mornings.

As a child of one of their employees, I got the privilage at times to actually go inside the plant. For a child, being inside a large building filled with confections, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate is a bit like being in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory. Of course, there were always the Hough Bakeries Christmas parties.

Sadly, Hough Bakeries has since closed and the delectable tastes are just a mere memory. But what a wonderful memory.

I do miss Hough Bakeries. I miss my father. And I miss his loving gestures that were white boxes wrapped up in string.

3 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

know it's been a few months since you've written this blog. My name is Samantha and my father is the owner of Archie's Lakeshore Bakery in Cleveland, Ohio. He used to work for Hough Bakery for 25 years. When it closed he opened up his own bakery, using some of Hough Bakery's old recipies, especially the white cake and white frosting. He does other things for special order including hungarian delights, wedding cakes, butter cookies, and holiday specials. He's been in business for almost 15 years now. The number is 216-481-4188. Please spread the word to your family members. He is mentioned in the October 2008 issue of Cleveland Magazine. I hope we can restore some of those old memories and help you to create new ones.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Katie - this is a great post thank you. I was born in '57 and grew up on Cleveland's East side and certainly remember Hough Bakery, and yes, I have been to Archie's Lakeshore Bakery and am very happy they do what they do. What with Mad Men I imagine Archie's business might have seen a great peak.

Is the beautiful picture of your children or of you with the Hough Boxes and Sugar Cookies.

I am now a professional baker in New York City. My parents and sister still live in Cleveland and I need to get home to see them and have one of Archie's White Cakes.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad, Fred Gadus, was at Hough Bakeries for over 30 years. He worked as a driver and then was supervisor for shipping and he also worked the night shift. I had numerous family members who worked at Hough also, including Uncle Joe, Aunt Kate, Chuckie (cousin), Aunt Teresa and others. Dad also brought the baked goods in the morning and we always had to wait for the treats inside. Dad also brought the "stale" baked goods home and provided them to the nuns and priests at St Margaret Marys in South Euclid, our parish church/school...

Tim

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page