Thursday, May 18, 2006

Chimera


For definition of chimera click here.

I am working on enzyme chimeras. Chimeras of Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS) to be precise. They are part of my dissertation project. My goal is to characterize my chimeras in order to gain a deeper understanding of the regulatory and mechanistic features of their wild-type counterparts.

For those inclined, a wonderful article exists on a previously characterized and published NOS chimera:

Adak, S., Aulak, KS., and Stuehr, DJ. (2001) J. Biol Chem. 276, 23246-52.

Sometimes, these chimeric enzymes are affectionately referred to as "Frankenstein NOS" in our lab because their creation involved putting together different domains of NOS isoforms through clever feats of DNA recombinant technology.

Will all this work someday lead to some cures for Nitric Oxide related diseases? I can only hope and dream.

Mahfuzul, one of our post-docs, was kind enough to send me pictures of different types of animal chimeras, such as the birddog. His hope was to inspire me and lift my spirits with regards to my research.

I have some other animal chimeras that I will continue to post as time permits.

The animal chimera was obviously created through clever feats of graphic design engineering. Perhaps some graphic design artists have too much time on their hands?

Regardless, enjoy the birddog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

All I can say is bow-wow. :)

Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page