Saturday, April 21, 2007

Trespassing Cat--Part 2

Ealier I wrote a post about a cat that got into my house on Palm Sunday of all days. After trying to befriend it, chase it around the house with doors open for it to go out the way it came in, it looked like I got it to leave and my life went back to normalcy. Or so I thought.

Things were quiet in Katie's home. The cats were their normal selves. They were quiet and complacent in their normal routines. Nothing was amiss.

This past Sunday I went downstairs to do a load of laundry. I notice a grey tabby tail wisk by. Could this tail belong to the wayward cat? Is it the tail of one of my cats? I could not be sure. So, I went into the room I saw it go in.

I could not find a cat anywhere. Did I imagine a cat? Am I seeing cats where there are no cats? If it was one of my own cats, it would not have a reason to hide from me. But I could not be sure. I kept looking...

Finally, peering at me and sitting on a counter was the wayward cat. Oh no.

More trying to befriend it, more chasing it around. Even found it sleeping in an empty box that I thought I could sneak up on, trap inside, and then take outside. None of those tactics worked.

Trap? Now there is an idea that could work. I have done some "cat trapping" in the past with regards to strays and feral cats. This was for humane reasons and the cats were adopted out.

So, I went out and bought a Hav-a-heart trap (I like these traps due to the fact they are humane and don't hurt the animal. Since I have used them before, it was a rather simple matter to set it up and bait it.

About 6 am on Monday morning I was awoken by some pitiful mewing. At first in my drowsy state, I thought it was one of my own cats. I got up to see what was wrong and why one of my cats was mewing so pitifully. Then I realized that the mewing was coming from the basement. I went downstairs and found that the trap had been sprung and the wayward tabby was inside. Although it was not happy to be inside the trap, I was rather happy to see it inside the trap.

So, I took the trap with cat outside and released the cat. Hopefully it is back with its owner now.

I have also learned my own lesson never to leave the door open when carrying in groceries.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

What a strange story.

I have had many cats who have come to my house and stayed in the garage, but none that ccame into the house.

I hope this one finds its rightful owner.

I love kitties, but my lsat cat recently died of old age and I am now kittiless.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Mary,

Oh, I am so sorry about your kitty!

Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page