Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Do I learn????

My previous post on my penchant for body lotions and fragrances reminded me of something that happened to me as a result of my weakness for fragrances and body lotions.

A few years back when I embarked on being a graduate student, I was in an organic synthesis lab as a Ph.D. student. Considering how much I adored mechanisms, I thought being an synthetic organic chemist would be a good fit for me. Later, I joined my current lab because I wanted something more "biologically based".

Anyhow, I was taking a graduate course in organic structure and mechanisms taught by the same professor who was also my advisor at the time. He is still is my "home" program advisor even though I now have a different advisor guiding my Ph.D. work.

One day, I was working in the lab on some synthesis step when it became time to go to this class. So, I finished up and washed my hands. I kept some body lotion handy since I washed my hands frequently and did not want them to dry out. So, after washing my hands I put on this "Raspberry Fruit Frappe" body lotion. I still have the stuff and let me tell you, it smells quite delicious and extremely delightful.

Without further thought, I went to class.

I sat down and then the professor came in and started the lecture and began writing a mechanism on the blackboard. All of a sudden, he stops in mid electron transfer. He just stands there seemingly unable to continue. He finally turns around, looks around the room and states that something smells really wonderful. Since there were only seven students in the class and I was the ONLY female student, I instantly knew that he was referring to my "Raspberry Fruit Frappe" body lotion. I sheepisly looked backed down at my notebook not wanting to admit anything and hoped he would just turn around and continue with the lecture.

But he did not.

Instead,he kept looking around the room even more determined to find the source of this "wonderful smell". He exclaimed even louder that something smells really wonderful and sort of like a bakery. He even stepped outside the room to see if he could locate the source of his distraction. He steps back into the room and rather perplexed at being unable to locate to source.

I figured at this point, not saying anything was more distracting. So finally, I spoke up and told him that the scent was me.

He still looked perplexed.

So, I explained to him, in front of the entire male-dominated class that just prior to coming to class put on this "Raspberry Fruit Frappe" body lotion. I don't know what the expression was on my classmates since I wasn't about to look around, but I imagine it must have been amusement at least.

So, you would think after this incident I would learn to temper my penchant for fragrances and body lotions?

It would seem not!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

HAHA! That must have been something! It probably never occurred to the prof that the smell might have come from the only lady in the room :)

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

my pet! Locations of visitors to this page